This past month we had new skills once again! Skills included as "notable" this month are: high bar kips, front hip circles, and round-off two back-handsprings. The following gymnasts completed these skills consistently for the first time in March:
- Katie B, level 4, made her front hip circle
- Sam B, level 4, made her high bar kip
- Tyla M, level 4, made her round-off two backhandsprings
The level 5's and 6's also had their final competition of the year at the Northern Lights! 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes (for the entire session for level 5's; for respective age groups for level 6) include:
- Anelise S, level 5: 3rd on floor with a 9.325
- Alex B, level 6: 2nd on vault with an 8.9; 3rd on floor with a 9.175; 3rd in the AA with a 34.575
- Julia F, level 6: 1st on bars (9.2), beam (9.35), floor (9.55), and AA (36.9); 3rd on vault with an 8.8
- Paige C, level 6: 2nd on floor with a 9.2
Finally, we had the team banquet on 4/1 to celebrate this past season! Our compulsory gymnasts had many accomplishments to celebrate, and we are now looking forward to a great year next season for both our compulsories and our new optional gymnasts! Individual banquet awards this year went to:
- Gymnast of the Year: Julia F, Level 6
- Most Successful: Allison W, Level 5
- Most Improved: Katie K, Level 6
- Rookie of the Year: Haylie H, Level 5
- Most Team Spirit: Ashley N, Level 5
- 4/19-4/22: USAG Regionals at the Minneapolis Convention Center; come watch some of the best gymnastics in the region! For more information, see the meet website:http://tctmeets.com/regionals.html
- 4/19-4/22: Coach Missy and Coach Brian will compete in the NAIGC National Championships in Salt Lake City, Utah. Be sure to wish them luck!
- 5/17: Team Showcase; come watch our team gymnasts show off their hard work this season!
- Gymnast and Coach's Birthdays this upcoming month: Julia C 4/12; Rorri K 4/22
Two weekends ago, 3/22 - 3/24, Division 3 NCGA (National Collegiate Gymnastics Association) Nationals took place in Brockport, New York, where six college gymnastics teams competed for the National Division 3 championship. Three former Roseville Gymnastics Center (RGC) level 9's qualified to this competition as individuals; Jenna Lensing (’08), Anna Gleason ('09), and Laura Fabian ('09). Jenna is a junior at UW-Stout. Anna and Laura are both juniors at Winona State University.
Anna qualified to Nationals as an individual on bars based upon her performance at Regionals and throughout the season. She placed 7th overall, which is quite an accomplishment! Anna is double majoring in Physical Education and Health and is looking forward to graduating in December of 2013. In the future Anna would like to be a middle school or high school teacher, continue judging gymnastics, and hopefully get back into coaching the sport as well. For a video of Anna's performance at nationals, click the following link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU6keK0pVi4
Jenna was a top competitor for UW-Stout on bars this season. She qualified to nationals as an individual on bars and scored an 8.675 during the first day of competition. Jenna was also a consistent all-around competitor for the Blue Devils during the 2012 season. Jenna is majoring in Vocational Rehabilitation and graduating in May of 2013. After graduation she plans on going to Occupational Therapy school.
Laura had a successful season as well. She competed vault and bars, achieving her personal best score on vault, a 9.575. She was also able to qualify to nationals as an individual, but unfortunately got hurt during the competition. Laura is an Elementary Education major, with a minor in English. She will begin student teaching in the Fall of 2013, and will graduate in December of 2013. For a video of Laura's vault earlier this season, given her injury at Nationals, see the following link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdDtYNFa0I
Coach Gabi Hooper was also at Nationals to cheer on her former college team, UW La-Crosse (Gabi competed for the team for four years, then went on to coach UW-L for two seasons). Her team placed 3rd overall. See highlights from Gabi's team at Nationals at the following link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzibMW5rnwA